GATE Test Preparation
A candidate can apply for only ONE of the 21 papers listed in the table of GATE brochure. The choice of the appropriate paper is the responsibility of the candidate. Some guidelines in this respect are suggested below.
The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree. The candidate is, however, free to choose any paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
Requests for change of GATE Examination paper after the submission of Application Form will not be considered.
Some quick tips to prepare well are:
First and foremost important is that start preparing early once you have decided to take up GATE exam and read important information related to it.
- Always follow standard books, recommended books for preparation and learn how to crack GATE
because now-a-days all the coaching institutes offer study material for
assistance in studies. But if this material simply copy paste or re-write of
materials taken from other books then these hold minimal importance.
- Try to cover complete syllabus. If not possible be perfect in whatever portion of syllabus you practice. To start the preparations go for the topics which are easy to you and then move towards the tough one.
- Prepare notes after finishing every chapter. This will help you during your last days of revision. You can also prepare running notes in the coaching classes. Self made notes for GATE are always beneficial than readymade notes because it increases your understanding and is also important GATE 2013 preparation tip.
- While studying a chapter, do ask yourself following questions "What", "How", and "Why" and see improvement. This is also very useful
preparation tip for GATE 2013.
- To crack GATE exam 2012, avoid reading from soft copies, it is common among various students to search and download soft copies of GATE books and notes. These copies can easily be found downloaded and shareable among others. But the disadvantage with soft copies is that you will read them on computer and can be easily distracted to other things like music, videos, internet etc.
- It is always beneficial to make a hard copy of the important pages and avoid computer to concentrate well on the desired subject. You can also write down some important points if don't want to have printed copy.
The idea is to avoid all kind of distraction that prevents GATE 2013 preparation.
- Buy or get a copy of previous year question papers if possible with solutions, it will help you to understand the pattern of paper.
- Practice as many model test papers as possible as you can get from any source.
- Analyze your score in model test papers and compare your performance periodically to see how you improve is very important
- Finish detailed reading at least one and half month before. Keep one month for revisions and clearing leftover doubts. Have a look of question you solved during preparation for GATE Exam 2013 and remember how you have solved them.
- Revise the short notes daily, weekly and monthly that you already have prepared.
- Consult your professors and seniors in case of any doubts.
The GATE exam is normally held on the second Sunday
in February and the results announced by the middle of March.
Date of Online Examination: 2013 - 20th January, 2013
Date of Offline Examination: 2013 - 10th February, 2013
Click Here for GATE 2012-2013 Branch wise / Stream wise solved question papers
with detailed explanations